Situated on the North Devon coast, Berrynarbor is a rural and coastal community with spirit. The village nestles on the slopes of a diverse, beautiful valley, rich in meadow, pasture land and wooded cleaves. Its name is derived from past manorial lords - the Berry and De Nerbert families. The focal point of the village is its fine church with lofty pinnacled tower, 17th Century lych-gate and original cobbled path. Next to the church are the remains of the 15th Century Manor House, extended in 1914 to provide a splendid village hall. This social venue is constantly used for a wide variety of activities and functions.
Grouped around the church are old cottages which form the nucleus of the village. Over the years, restoration has been sympathetic to their original charm and character. It's here are found the essential facilities for a thriving community - the post office/general store, busy school and village pub. Agriculture is still an important way of life, most of the farms are of great antiquity and lie above the steeper slopes of the valley.
Photographs © by Pam & Alex Parke, Colin Harding and Jim Constantine www.berrynarborvillage.co.uk
Please note that this website will be shut down at the end of July.
A new webite, www.berrynarborvillage.org
has replaced it and is now live.
To visit the new website click